Monday, May 26, 2008

What to call it

So here goes. Seph told me to share this story.

I have a problem. I have 2 boys and I have never had any trouble deciding what to call their private parts. We call it what it is. They have a penis, pure and simple. Testicles as well was not a difficult word choice but here is where the problem comes in. Now I have a 2 year old girl. You see there are so many parts involved in the whole and I really am not comfortable with any of the names. The vulva is the outside, the vagina is the inside, the labia are also out side. It is not her butt. I grew up with front bottom and back bottom. That is not right either. I mean most people tell girls that it is their vagina. I hate that word. Hoo Hoo, Va Jay Jay, coochy, and Twat are all so silly or vile. What the heck should we call it?

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine a couple of years ago and she told me that her daughter called it her Fine China. I can just hear it now, "Get your hands off my Fine China." You have to be really picky about who you let touch your fine china. Well that is very funny but I really don't want her to have a silly name for it either.

Well, a couple of days ago Abby was getting into the bath and pointed at it and called it her booty. I told her it was not her booty. She insisted it was. I told her it was her vagina. I only said it once and put her in the bath. Next thing I know she is walking around the house telling people her kine kine hurts. I made her say it several times till I figured out what she meant. I still HATE the V word. I guess I have to live with it.

3 comments:

Memarie Lane said...

That's exactly what I went through trying to think of something appropriate for Jessamine. I thought about Yoni, which is a Hindi word that refers to the entire female genital area instead of just the vagina, but it seemed hokey. And so we arrived at Lady Bits, which is also hokey, but not as bad as Hoockie.

QuicheBaby said...

I also thought about bits and pieces but I am a worse case sort of person. I thought what if someone God forbid ever did anything to her. How could you convict someone off of "he touched my bits and pieces even when I said no." I probably shouldn't have that as the deciding factor.

Stephanie said...

I let my girls call it whatever. They started with front butt and now call it their private parts. As you know, Judy calls it their moochie YUCK!