Monday, May 5, 2008

Nynee


This picture is of me and Nynee when I was 8.

When I was eight years old my grandmother took me on a road trip from Florida to Iowa. I had never been away from my mom and dad so this was a really grand adventure. There has always been an interesting dynamic in out family. Nynee (grandma) would visit often. I am know it was hard for my mom. You see Nynee showed her love by caring for people. She cleaned, painted, and mended things. I know my mom felt like she was very critical and maybe she was. Nynee is my dad's mom. Nynee also took us to the beach and played with us. On my visit to Iowa, I remember taking long walks and even longer trips into our imagination. I have some mixed feelings about that summer. I left a skinny kid and returned with a weight issue I have yet to escape. For with Nynee, food was comfort and food was love. With everything said and done, I would not change a thing.
My grandmother was an amzing and often manipulative woman. Until just a few years ago I never realized what a fantastic sense of humor she had and how interesting her life had been. I am sure this is sounding a bit scattered but stick with me. You see, on Sunday my grandmother had a severe stroke. She is 92 years old. I know that she is dying. I am ready for it and I know that she is as well, but I am very sad that I cannot be there. I would like to see her one more time. I know it won't change anything. It makes me very sad.

The baby is Delanie and I am the little blond.


This is a sweet moment Nynee had with Abigail.

No comments: