Sunday, March 2, 2008

LAP BAND

As many people know I have been struggling with my weight for years. I was chubby in High School and even in the Army it took work to keep it in check. Well a few months ago I came to the realization that it was time to get a little drastic. I am heavy enough to qualify for a gastric bypass but that is not what I am considering. What I am considering is Lap-Band surgery. It is the least invasive of the bariatric (weight loss) surgeries. It is also the most reversible if medically necessary. So truth be told I have been obese for about 10 years. I don't have any of the health issues that many fat people struggle with, but that is just a matter of time.

Here is one of my issues. I am very open. Not just in an anonymous setting like a blog. I have no filter and I have no secrets. Many people wish I had a few more secrets. So I told a thin friend about the surgery. She looked at me and said I should just buy healthy food. Oh, you don't think a person can get fat on healthy food. I love good food. I try to steer clear of things with partially hydrogenated oils and processed sugar. I don't buy artificial crap. I am still fat. You see if you eat more than your body can burn up then you will get fat. It does not matter if it is healthy food or fast food. It is the fact that I choose healthier foods that I don't have extra health issues. Oh yes, and exercise. Do you exercise? Well I am a full time mom and a full time Student and my husband is in the Army and he is a part time student. Right now no exercise. I am sure I could fit in a few minutes of exercise a day but I am really overwhelmed and really it is none of your business. You with your naturally skinny petite Asian body. You need to take your judgement else wear. You have not known me long enough to look critically on my life.

Enough of that rant.

Here is where everything stands at this time. I have seen the surgeon and he approved me as a good candidate for the surgery. I then had to have a Psych eval and that happened on Wednesday. The psychologist approved with the recommendation that I see a dietitian after surgery and that I participate in a support group. The papers were mailed to the surgeon on Thursday and he will send them up for insurance approval. If all goes well I might be able to have my surgery in about 2 weeks. I hope it all goes smoothly. This way I can recover over Spring Break and be back to school without missing a beat.

Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for me.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I will join you in the LAZY way :P

Memarie Lane said...

I hope you are able to get the surgery, and that it works for you.

It's the same way being skinny, people don't understand why I can't just eat more cheeseburgers. With some people it just doesn't matter how little or how much or what you eat, you are what you are.